Hot Trend:

Philippines calls a Canadian player to prepare for 2019 FIBA ​​World Cup

Philippines calls a Canadian player to prepare for 2019 FIBA ​​World Cup

Matthew Wright has the opportunity to attend the world championship thanks to the recent excellent performance.

Coach Yeng Guiao confirmed Matthew Wright was on the list of summons prepared for FIBA World Cup. The 28-year-old striker had his first training session with the team on July 4 last. "We decided to put him on the summons list," the Philippines coach said.

Wright is Gilas Pilipinas' latest addition to the World Cup campaign, along with Riefer Ravena and rookie duo PBA, CJ Perez and Robert Bolick. Earlier, two defenders Jayson Castro and Scottie Thompson had withdrawn from the squad.

The choice of the Canada player is not a difficult decision for coach Guiao, when he knows his ability. "We talked a lot about Wright's case and the way the game sounded for him".

Matthew Wright is showing impressive performance with an average of 21.4 points, 5.1 assists and 3.6 rebounds per game at PBA Commissioner's Cup 2019. In the last 8 matches, Toronto-born players successfully completed 38% of three-point throws.

“He is playing very well, especially the ability to throw the ball. We understand that the team needs as many good pitchers as possible and he also wore the national team. Wright is quite familiar with my system and will not take much time to integrate, ”said coach Yeng Guiao.

The last time Matthew Wright wore Gilas Pilipinas was in the FIBA World Cup qualification last December. The defender had two years playing under the shirt of Phoenix Pulse Fuel Masters. At PBA and having twice entered the All-star squad. Previously, the 28-year-old has won ABL in Malaysian Dragons.